Fishing Net-Gains (FNG) is a project designed to identify and tackle the issues of ghost gear and other related threats to marine life in Nigeria and the West Coast of Africa by creating economic frontiers for coastal communities and harnessing collaboration with government and stakeholders on policy development and standard practice.
FNG pilot is designed to cover coastal communities: Mkpanak/Uta-Ewa in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria, Ilaje in Lagos State, Akassa in Bayelsa in Nigeria within a year (2019 – 2022) albeit with certain data research activities extending to other parts of West Africa.
GOALS OF THE PROJECT
We hope to achieve the following goals on the completion of this project:
- Strengthening environmental values among the residents of Ibeno, Uta-Ewa, Ilaje, & Akassa communities.
- Reduction of mortality rate in the communities’ marine life as it relates to ALDFGs.
- Widening the community’s involvement in the United Nations Environment/GGGI programs/DFO/activities.
- Reduce the economic challenges of women and youths in the community and raise living standards through ghost gear inspired craft innovations.
- Extend the economic frontier of these communities through partnerships with recycling firms.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
- Raise awareness in the public on the impacts of Abandoned, Lost, or otherwise Discarded Fishing Gears (ALDFGs).
- Generate relevant primary data on ALDFGs in the West African coast.
- Formulate standard and recommended practices that will provide guide for ALDFG policies.
- Improve the livelihood of host communities through craft innovations using recovered ghost gears.
- Create awareness on the issues of other marine debris especially ocean plastics.
- Develop and recommend standard practices for establishing the Fishing HubNets (F-HubNets)
- Promote community integration and participation in the FNG project through the F-HubNet program.
- Help Fishers avoid hazardous zones during fishing activities by broadening their understanding of gear conflicts.
- Keep track of emerging new data on ALDFG.
- Educate Fishers on needs for data management.
- Help avoid oil and gas pipeline related gear incidents.
- Proffer sustainable recycling solutions through creative craft contest and replicating solutions.