Fishing Net Gains – Ghost Gear Craft Contest is a special contest event organized by Stand Out for Environment Restoration (SOFER) Initiative to solve the problem relating to Abandon, Lost, or otherwise Discarded Fishing Gears (ALDFGs), in coastal regions of Nigeria and West Africa, and to mark the World Environment Day Celebration (Only One Earth) on June 5, 2022. This contest tasks the participants to repurpose ghost gear(s) into finished handicrafts of bags, shoes, floor mats, décor, etc.
Join the contest, and repurpose ghost gear!
This contest is open to all SOFER Initiative trained crafters and the general public.
- Registration Expires: 20th – 31th of May, 2022
- Craft(s) Submission Expires: 2nd of June, 2022
- Verification of Works: 4th of June, 2022
- Celebration & Announcement of Awards: 5th June, 2022
- 80% to 100% of your craft item(s) must be produced with the use of Fishing Gears
- you can either sign up as an individual or a group crafter
- verification of registration details before commencement of work
- Finesse – your craft work must have a good finishing, durability and creativity
- Relevance & Usefulness (including market value – saleability) of produced item(s)
- Documentary of production which include cost, tools, measurements, and how the craft was produced
Benefits for Participants
- Cash prizes for the best three (3) selected craft works
- Opportunities for the first ten (10) selected saleable craft works to be sold online
- Gain access to both Local and International Sponsors
- Exposure of selected craft works on SOFER Initiative website
Meet Our Panelist